2019 SPRING TEACHING ARTIST APPLICATION - THEATER
coLAB Arts is looking to hire a team of trained and experienced theater teaching artists for a 10-week residency in New Brunswick, NJ. These individuals should have a passion for high-school age theater education, community and civic engagement, and the telling of local, relevant, and resonant stories.
This 10-week residency is a part-time position. Teaching Artists will be scheduled based on availability but must be available for the entire school day on which they are scheduled, 8:00am-2:00pm. Payment will be set at $150.00 per residency day (three classes). The position is administered by coLAB Arts, and teaching artists will report directly to coLAB Arts administrative staff.
Since 2010, coLAB Arts has been administering a series of page-to-stage-styled workshops in local public schools. All coLAB Arts Education programs both (a) teach and promote knowledge and technique of a particular craft and (b) use that knowledge with the freedom of interdisciplinary experimentation to support students in the creation of projects that reflect their experiences. coLAB Arts Education programs link professional artists with student artists for in-depth high quality studio instruction, networking, and community focused project creation. Our program uses oral history interview collection, creative writing, acting, movement, design, theater history, and literary criticism to engage students as thoughtful collaborative storytellers. The core coLAB Arts teaching artist faculty hold degrees in their expertise and work in NYC and regionally in their chosen artistic fields.
coLAB Arts Teaching Artists will be responsible for conducting multiple in-school workshops in theater.
Position responsibilities include:
1. Creatively engage high-school age students.
2. Facilitate coLAB Arts curriculum in a classroom setting.
3. Collaborate in a team-teaching model.
4. Submit daily evaluations to director of education on student participation and the meeting of curricular goals.
Competitive applicants should have demonstrated experience and strength in the following areas:
1. Applicant must have a background in theater. The ideal candidate will have experience in either/or acting, design, and writing.
2. Applicant should have education experience and will be expected to both lead and partner with other teachers in workshops and classes.
3. Applicant will be required to attend a residency orientation and coLAB Arts curriculum training.
4. Applicant must be able to pass a standard NJ Department of Education background check.
5. Applicant will either have a reliable personal vehicle or will coordinate their own public transportation as needed.
1. MFA or BFA degree or 3 – 5 years professional experience.
2. Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive
3. Have access to a personal computer
4. Be able to work remotely and independently
5. Should be able to lift and carry 25 lbs.
6. Not required but encouraged that candidate is bilingual in Spanish and English; written, spoken, and real-time translation
coLAB Arts does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or authorized alien status, or veteran status.
MANAGING ORGANIZATION, coLAB Arts:
coLAB Arts engages artists, social advocates, and communities to create transformative new work. coLAB Arts facilitates creative conversation through innovative programs and artist infrastructure, connects artists with community partners and mentors, and executes productions that challenge perceptions and inspire action.
These positions are supported in part by an award from the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation - “Imagine a Better New Jersey” To find out more about the foundation and how their grants impact individuals and communities, visit http://www.grdodge.org/
coLAB Arts is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. You can visit our website, www.colab-arts.org, and on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @colabarts.
To submit, applicant should fill out the online application below. Please send resume to Director of Education, John Keller at firstname.lastname@example.org.