2019 Esperanza Neighborhood Project - Resident Theater Artist
Application information is below. Only submissions received by December 31, 2018 will be considered.
coLAB Arts is looking to hire a trained and experienced Latinx and Spanish-speaking theater artist for a nine-month residency in New Brunswick, NJ with local partner advocacy organization, New Brunswick Tomorrow. This individual should have a passion for community and civic engagement and telling local, relevant, and resonant stories.
This is a part-time position, consisting of 20 hours per week, split between office, studio, and outreach work. Salary will be set at $300.00 per week. The position is administered by coLAB Arts, and co-managed by coLAB Arts staff and Charles Bergman, Director of the Esperanza Neighborhood Project of New Brunswick Tomorrow.
coLAB Arts, with New Brunswick Tomorrow and Elijah’s Promise, manages the Mercado Esperanza, an outdoor market and cultural hub in New Brunswick, NJ. The Mercado is a combined effort to support local food entrepreneurship and community development through a shared initiative towards food access and creative placemaking. The Mercado is held monthly between April and October and is produced in a festival type atmosphere, featuring family programming and artmaking, performances, music, fresh local produce, and prepared foods from participating neighborhood vendors.
The coLAB Arts Resident Artist will be responsible for the development of a new Spanish Language theater company, featuring artists and stories that reflect the Esperanza Neighborhood’s Latinx community, with primary performances held at the Mercado Esperanza. Performances will be held at each monthly Mercado event and will include previously produced and newly created works. The Resident Artist will also participate in existing creative engagement projects and community outreach meetings and events between coLAB Arts and the Esperanza Neighborhood Project. Position responsibilities include:
1. Participate in the Mercado Esperanza, a seasonal monthly outdoor community market celebrating food heritage, cultural legacy, and creative soul of New Brunswick’s diverse population and Esperanza Neighborhood.
2. Create and facilitate 30-45 minute programs and workshops corollary to the presented stage performances at each monthly Mercado event.
3. Facilitate and attend outreach programs with the Esperanza Neighborhood and New Brunswick’s greater community of residents and stakeholders to build capacity and participation in the monthly Mercado programming.
4. Develop and present one theatrical performance piece at each monthly Mercado Esperanza event.
5. Present theatrical performances regularly to the greater New Brunswick community through New Brunswick Tomorrow’s programming and outreach.
Competitive applicants should have demonstrated experience and strength in the following areas:
1. Applicant should have a portfolio of new work, with recent credits indicating continuous production. Applicant must have a background in theater production and management. The ideal candidate will have experience in producing and directing new theater for Spanish-speaking audiences.
2. Applicant should have demonstrated experience with community engagement and community organizing, and will be expected to lead workshops, classes, and outreach events.
3. Applicant should have strong writing and communication skills, as a large part of the position will be coordinating creative engagement and advocacy-based programming.
1. BFA or BA degree
2. 3 – 5 years professional experience, or MFA degree
3. Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Social Media management
4. Bilingual in Spanish and English; written, spoken, and real-time translation
5. Have access to a personal computer
6. Have access to a personal vehicle and possesses a valid driver’s license
7. Be able to work remotely and independently
8. Should be able to lift and carry 25 lbs.
coLAB Arts does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, or authorized alien status, or veteran status.
MANAGING ORGANIZATION, coLAB Arts:
coLAB Arts engages artists, social advocates, and communities to create transformative new work. coLAB Arts facilitates creative conversation through innovative programs and artist infrastructure, connects artists with community partners and mentors, and executes productions that challenge perceptions and inspire action.
PARTNER ORGANIZATION, New Brunswick Tomorrow’s Esperanza Neighborhood Project
New Brunswick Tomorrow has put their forty-plus years of social revitalization experience towards the service of Esperanza’s immigrant residents and their native-born neighbors through the Esperanza Neighborhood Project. They conduct intensive outreach and leadership development to equip residents to step up as engaged civic leaders, reaching out to thousands of their neighbors and making their voice heard at City Hall.
This position is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit www.arts.gov.
coLAB Arts is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. You can visit our website, www.colab-arts.org, and on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @colabarts.
To submit, applicant should fill out the following form and send resume and cover letter with artist statement to coLAB Arts at email@example.com. Please write Esperanza Resident Artist and your name in the subject line. Only submissions received by December 31, 2018 will be considered.